We have gathered some data from AUM staff about their starting salaries. We are publishing it anonymously below as some of them are still at #AUM.
- Assistant professor with 20 years experience and an Egyptian passport 2200 KWD.
- Assistant professor with 7 years experience and Eastern European passport 2350 KWD.
- Assistant professor with 5 years experience and Western European passport 2200 KWD.
- Assistant professor with 2 years experience and American passport 2500 KWD.
- Assistant professor with 5 years experience and Western European passport 3000 KWD.
- Assistant professor with 20 years experience and African passport 1800 KWD.
Because AUM keep no database or deliver no pay slips, this is almost impossible to track except if you look at contracts. Should we mention how many of the clauses in your contract are actually illegal?
Obviously, there is no indexation. Every 2 years you might get a salary increment, ranging from 25 to 150 KWD but nobody knows on what basis this is given. There is no clearly announced scale on assignment amounts either. Some heads of department get 100, others 150 on top, and some simple faculty members like Bassam the Great from LAD get 300 and above. (Likewise, some have the right to unpaid leave due to sickness, while others get suspended. Whether you are Indian or not counts big time.)
Things are worse at EPP:
- Instructor from Eastern Europe (non-Union passport) and 5 years experience 800 KWD.
- Instructor from the Baltic with 5 years experience 1100 KWD.
- Instructor from Eastern Europe (Union passport) and 5 years of experience 1200 KWD.
- Instructor from the Baltic with 10 years of experience 2200 KWD.
- Instructor from the Middle East with 15 years of experience 2000 KWD.
150 – 175 for transport (you will spend at least double that on taxis or your own car)
175 – 275 for housing (you know you can’t find anything decent below 350)
Up to 2000 per year per child for school (only Ph.D. please). A good primary school may charge from 2500 upwards per child
Tickets once yearly for you and family (only Ph.D. please).